If you are starting a new business or trade, a logo, name or signature is the very first thing you select to separate yourself from the rest. A “trademark” is that symbol you may use to do so. Registering a trademark is a legal process provided for under the Trade Marks Act, 1999. Trademark Application can be made by physical or online with registration fees of Rs.3500/- for each class.
Following are the various steps involved in the method of Trademark registration in Chennai.
1. Trademark Search: it is recommended to conduct a trademark look for the relevant classes before filing the application to register a trademark in order to make sure that there’s no identical or similar trademark already registered or for which an application for registration has been submitted.
2. Filing of a tm application: for registration by an individual claiming to be the businessman of a trademark, within the workplace of the Trademark Registry-Chennai.
3. Examination of the application: by the Registrar to determine whether or not it’s distinctive and doesn’t conflict with existing registered or pending trademarks and examination report is issued.
4. Publication of the application: after or before acceptance of the application in the Trademark Journal.
5. Opposition by third party: after publication if someone provides notice of his/her opposition to the registration within 3 months which can be extended to the most of one month.
6. Hearing before Registrar: If the opposition has been determined in favour of the applicant of the registration of trademark, the Registrar shall register the Trademark.
7. Registration of Trademark: Upon the registration of the Trademark the Registrar shall issue to the applicant a Trademark Registration Certificate.
Trademark Process Chart